Auckland (Mangere) Centre
Making a difference in AucklandVolunteer with us
SPCA's Centre in Mangere/Auckland is the biggest and busiest centre in the country. It was founded in 1883 and has been protecting animals for 130 years since.
We are on a 10 acre plot, located south of the City near the airport, and are lucky to have fantastic teams across all areas of work.
Our centre accommodates several different teams, around 120 staff altogether, all working collaboratively to provide the best outcome for our animals.
- A well-equipped hospital where our team of vets and vet nurses can carry out a range of surgeries for animals in need, from routine desexing to much more complex procedures.
- A farm area, where large animals can be housed and cared for.
- Feline, small animal and canine rehabilitation facilities and adoption areas.
- A specialised call centre as well as a fundraising office.
- Our Canine Confidence Course.
- A large team of warranted animal welfare Inspectors who cover a 7,980 sq. kms area across the Auckland region.
Each year we see thousands of animals arrive at the centre who have been abandoned or neglected. During our busiest periods we can have around 500 cats and kittens and up to 200 dogs in our care, including out at foster homes.
We are extremely lucky to have hundreds of volunteers who devote their free time to helping the Auckland centre create the best life possible for the animals who need us; this ranges from cleaning out dog pens, to fostering sick animals or working in one of our eight op shops across the city.
If you have found a sick or injured animal, contact us immediately on 09 256 7300.
If you have found a roaming or dangerous dog, please call Auckland Council Animal control on 09 301 0101.
If the animal is healthy and not in danger, please click here to see how you can help.
We list every incoming stray animal on www.lostpet.co.nz so please check the listings to see if we might have your missing pet.
If your animal is not listed, we have some tips on how to find your pet on our Advice & Welfare section.
Services we offer
Special thanks to the following individuals
North Shore Dog Squad
Our Senior Management Team
Animal Services Manager
Support Services Manager