Auckland (Mangere) Centre
Making a difference in AucklandVolunteer with us
Under Alert Level 1 our centre is open, however, enquiries about adoptions, fostering and volunteering are by appointment. We ask anyone who would like to come to a centre to contact us first and make an appointment. You can do so by calling our centre on the number provided above. If you are dropping off donations we would love to see you during our opening hours at any time.
SPCA's Centre in Mangere/Auckland is the biggest and busiest centre in the country. It was founded in 1883 and has been protecting animals for 130 years since.
We are on a 10 acre plot, located south of the City near the airport, and are lucky to have fantastic teams across all areas of work.
Our centre accommodates several different teams, around 120 staff altogether, all working collaboratively to provide the best outcome for our animals.
- A well-equipped hospital where our team of vets and vet nurses can carry out a range of surgeries for animals in need, from routine desexing to much more complex procedures.
- A farm area, where large animals can be housed and cared for.
- Feline, small animal and canine rehabilitation facilities and adoption areas.
- A specialised call centre as well as a fundraising office.
- Our Canine Confidence Course.
- A large team of warranted animal welfare Inspectors who cover a 7,980 sq. kms area across the Auckland region.
Each year we see thousands of animals arrive at the centre who have been abandoned or neglected. During our busiest periods we can have around 500 cats and kittens and up to 200 dogs in our care, including out at foster homes.
We are extremely lucky to have hundreds of volunteers who devote their free time to helping the Auckland centre create the best life possible for the animals who need us; this ranges from cleaning out dog pens, to fostering sick animals or working in one of our eight op shops across the city.
Special thanks to the following individuals
North Shore Dog Squad