How you helped animals in 2021
You’ve made a profound difference for tens of thousands of injured, abused and neglected animals.
This year has continued to challenge and test us but thanks to your steadfast support, SPCA will always be there for the animals.
We want to say a heartfelt thanks by shining a light on the outcomes you’ve made possible, and showing how you’ve helped create a better future for Aotearoa New Zealand’s vulnerable animals. In 2021...
You educated and engaged with our community
Changing the hearts and minds of New Zealanders is key to breaking cycles of cruelty and improving animal welfare. Because of you...
- SPCA's Early Childhood Education Portal successfully launched
- 1,126 primary and intermediate schools are regularly using the SPCA Teacher's Portal
- 3904 visits to SPCA Kids' Portal per month
- 531 visits to SPCA Teacher's Portal per month
- SPCA resources were shared internationally with schools in Rarotonga, Vanuatu, Niue, Solomon Islands and Kiribati.
You advocated for and influenced positive change
With your support, we continue to be a leading authority on animal welfare, using our voice to advocate for better animal welfare standards. Because of you...
- 304 stakeholder meetings were attended by SPCA to advocate and advance animal welfare
- 25 submissions were made to Government, local authorities and industry bodies
- 13 advisory groups and committees have SPCA involvement
- Long-time campaigning saw a ban on the live export of animals by sea and a review into the Greyhound racing industry.
You helped reduce and support
Desexing is the key way we can reduce the large number of unwanted animals in our communities. Because of you...
- 27,964 total animals were desexed including;
- 14,313 animals desexed in SPCA Centres
- 13,651 animals desexed in the community through SPCA’s Snip 'n' Chip programme
- 41 Snip 'n' Chip campaigns were held across New Zealand
- 7 new vet partnerships/affiliates were created in Southland, Otago and Lakes District with VetSouth and Vetlife.
You protected and sought justice
Our Inspectors strive to achieve long term change and get the right outcomes for both animals and their owners, rather than a short-term solution. Because of you...
- 34,161 animals cared for in SPCA Centres, excluding the countless animals SPCA Inspectors help in the community
- 14,275 cruelty complaints received
- 9,819 ambulance jobs attended
- 473 animal rescue jobs.
Meet just some of the animals you've helped this year...
We cannot thank you enough for making this a reality.
This year hasn't been the easiest and like many others, you're likely ready for a fresh start in 2022. With the year coming to an end, we hope that knowing you're changing lives - both furry and human – brings a smile to your face.
It's a fast-changing world, and there is so much opportunity to make a difference for the many animals who need us. With you by our side, the animals will always have someone to count on.