Canine volunteer – adult dogs
Do you love dogs? Volunteers in this role work with our adult canines and help clean, feed and care for them in our centres
Help us improve the lives of dogs in our care.
Volunteers work with, and must be confident handling, our adult dogs, who come in all shapes and sizes. Some of these dogs come to us with little or no training. Work in our adult dog run includes cleaning the dog rooms and the dog exercise yard, feeding the orphan dogs, and providing toys and attention.
- Minimum age: 18 years.
- Personal time commitment: one shift once a week or one shift every third weekend for a minimum of 6 months.
- Training: you will be required to attend training sessions for your specific area, in addition to receiving training while on-the-job during your shift.
- Experience: to work with the adult dogs you will need previous experience with dogs.
The available shift times are:
- Monday – 8am – 11am / 11am – 2pm
- Tuesday – 8am – 11am
- Wednesday – 11am – 2pm / 2pm – 5pm
- Thursday – 8am – 11am / 2pm – 5pm
- Friday – 11am – 2pm / 2pm – 5pm
- Saturday – 11am – 2pm
- Sunday – 2pm – 5pm
For: Canine volunteer – adult dogs at Wellington Centre
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for SPCA. Volunteers are a vital part of the SPCA team and we simply couldn't do the work we do without the large number of volunteers who donate their time to help the animals.
Please note: Our centres and op shops have minimum age requirements to volunteer. For op shops the minimum age is 15 years. For volunteering at a centre, please enquire with them directly if you are under 16 years of age. You may need to provide an up-to-date Ministry of Justice check prior to starting. Please be aware that during the application process we will ask about any medical conditions (physical or mental) we need to be aware of to ensure your safety while volunteering for us.