Leave a gift in your Will
A gift in your Will to SPCA is a very special last act of kindness that will make a positive difference to the future of animal welfare in New Zealand.
Why leave a gift to SPCA?
SPCA receives only a very small amount of government funding to help us in our essential animal welfare work. Instead, we rely on the generosity of animal lovers to support animals through the precious gift they leave in their Will.
Legacies are one of our largest sources of funding and our on-going lifeblood, providing income for many years ahead.
Leaving a gift to SPCA is a fitting way to celebrate the love and companionship animals have brought you during your lifetime. By doing so you will have a lasting impact on animals in need and help to ensure that New Zealand’s most cherished charity will always be here to help animals.
Making a gift in your Will
When preparing your Will, we recommend you seek the assistance of your family solicitor or a trustee company (such as the Public Trust or Perpetual Guardian Trust), to ensure your wishes are properly recorded.
You will also need to tell them what kind of gift you’d like to make. There are a variety of ways to leave a gift in your Will to SPCA, depending on what suits you best:
- Residuary Bequest – here you make a gift to SPCA of what is left over or a percentage thereof (the residue) in your estate after all expenses and debts have been settled and your loved ones have been provided for.
- Pecuniary Bequest – this means a specified sum of money in your Will is gifted to SPCA.
- Specified Bequest – this is where a particular item of value (for example stocks and shares, property or works of art) is gifted to SPCA in your Will
To make sure the wording in your Will accurately describes your intentions, we recommend including one of the following clauses. Download recommended wording here.
The Giving Hearts Programme
When you pledge a gift to SPCA in your Will, we’ll welcome you into the Giving Hearts programme - a special group of like-minded supporters.
Being a Giving Hearts member means we can say thank you in your lifetime and share our mutual love of animals together.
You will receive invitations to exclusive events and ongoing communications to keep you informed of our activities.
We would also love your legacy to live on in a happy home – we will invite you to name one of our adoptee animals, tell us the story behind the name and we will share that with their new forever-family.
As well as giving us the opportunity to thank you for your generosity, joining Giving Hearts will also help to give you peace of mind that your pets will be cared for after you go or when it becomes difficult for you to continue to care for them yourself.
- Giving Hearts Animal Assistance Programme. If your situation changes and you can no longer look after your pet (for example you move into a rest home), you can call on us for special assistance.
- Giving Hearts Pet Legacy Plan. This is where any animals living at the time of your death, where no arrangements have been made for them, fall into the custody of SPCA to be rehomed or fostered.
Our heartfelt thanks
Leaving a gift to SPCA in your Will is a big decision, and we appreciate you’ll want to take your time to think it through first and share your thoughts with your family.
If you decide to remember us in your Will, we would be grateful if you could let us know. Then we can thank you for your kindness and also give you the opportunity to benefit from our Giving Hearts Programme.
If you would like to remain anonymous, we will make a note of that and absolutely respect your wishes.
Your questions answered
Everyone is different, and so are their circumstances, so it’s important that the legacy you leave is right for you. If you would like to discuss our legacy programme further or if you wish to consider leaving a living legacy during your lifetime, please do not hesitate to contact us:
For all enquiries regarding deceased estates (including charitable trusts), please contact us on email@example.com or 09 256 7307
If you would rather we approach you, please leave your details with us and we will get back to you.