Advantages of desexing your companion animal
There are lots of advantages to desexing your pets apart from preventing the birth of unwanted animals.
- Pregnancy is impossible, eliminating problems and significant risks associated with pregnancy and birth.
- Desexing prevents false pregnancies in females.
- Desexing eliminates “heat” cycles in females.
- Desexed animals have reduced roaming activity to look for mates, with the consequent benefit that they are less likely to be hit by a car, be injured in other ways or come into contact with infectious disease.
- Desexed animals have less chance of developing certain kinds of cancers.
- Desexing eliminates the chance of common uterine infections (in females).
- Desexing reduces fighting and aggressive behaviours which reduces risk of infectious disease spread by fighting.
- Desexing reduces dominance aggression and fighting between individual rabbits, thus making them easier to house together.
- Desexing reduces unwanted animals being attracted to your property by females in heat.
- Desexing reduces dog registration fees.
- Urine marking behaviour is reduced.
- Desexing eliminates sexual frustration in companion animals.
- Desexing reduces territorial scent marking in rabbits.
- Desexing reduces territorial aggression towards owners in rabbits.
- Desexed animals generally live longer, healthier, happier lives due to various health benefits, some of which are listed here.
- Desexing saves lives.