Making a difference in South CanterburyVolunteer with us
The SPCA Centre in Timaru (formerly South Canterbury SPCA) was formed in April 1910 with the aim of upholding the animal welfare laws in South Canterbury and educating the public by using the services of a part-time inspector and several honorary inspectors. The Timaru Centre is responsible for animal welfare work within the South Canterbury region, reaching from the Rangitata River to the Waitaki River and inland to Twizel.
In 1960, SPCA purchased the current property at Hedley Road and officially opened the Animal Home on 22 April 1961, consisting of one house and a kennel block. More buildings were added over the years to form the Animal Home as it stands today.
Presently, one full-time Centre Manager is employed, along with two part-time employees. Several other staff help out at busy times, and volunteers are used on a daily basis to help run the Animal Home and Boarding Facilities.
Special thanks to the following individuals
Paws'n'Claws Op Shop Temuka - We are extremely grateful to Debbie and her helpers for all their hard work and dedication in supporting our centre.