Applicants who would like to be considered for the position of an SPCA animal ambulance volunteer should be aged 21+, have a reasonable standard of education and desirably have previous experience of working with companion animals.
Experience in dealing with the public would be an advantage. Applicants must also possess a full, clean, current NZ driving licence and be comfortable driving large manual vehicles. It is an advantage to be experienced towing a trailer although this is not a requirement.
Task may include:
- Picking up animals involved in emergency situations
- Transporting animals between vet clinics
- Administration work
- Collecting centre orders and emptying supermarket donation bins
- General tasks to support the inspectorate and animal care teams
Volunteer Driver’s operate between the hours of 8am to 4pm Monday – Sunday. There are two shifts per day 8am to 2pm and 10 am to 4pm.
We are currently looking to fill the following shifts:
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 8am – 2pm
Volunteer Drivers will initially receive 30 hours training, which will be enhanced as required. Upon satisfactory completion of training, their volunteer employment will be confirmed.
A volunteer must be able to:
- cultivate positive customer, volunteer and co-worker relations through professional and courteous interactions
- provide quality service to the public, volunteers, and staff while actively promoting our mission, activities and services
- cope with highly charged and often emotional people and emergencies. Excellent customer care skills are required
- work independently with access to phone or physical support if required.
Volunteer Drivers must be able to:
- ensure a safe work environment in line with the SPCA Health and Safety policies; following all safety guidelines, and modelling safe work practice.
- take immediate action to address any safety concerns that could put a staff member, volunteer, member of the public, or the organisation at risk.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Work is often performed in an outdoors setting and involves frequent bending, reaching, lifting and kneeling.
- Exposure to disinfectant solutions and household chemicals when cleaning.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of SPCA.
- Motivated, out-going, polite, and professional manner.
- Team player.
- Able to take direction well.
- An active people person who is reliable, punctual and honest.
- Thorough and precise in record/note taking.
Please note that there will be an induction evening and interview to attend once you have submitted your application form, prior to being accepted in to our programme.
If you have any questions, please call us on 03 349 7057 ext 8379 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For: Volunteer Driver
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for the SPCA. Volunteers are a vital part of the SPCA team and we simply couldn't do the work we do without the large number of volunteers who donate their time to help the animals.
Please fill out this form as completely as you are able. If you need assistance, please call the team at your local SPCA Centre.