Foster parent - cats and kittens
Throughout the year, many animals at the Invercargill SPCA Centre need temporary homes.
Provide temporary care for an animal
We have a limited amount of space and people in our centres to care for these animals and we rely on our fantastic fosterers to offer temporary homes to animals. That's where we need your help.
Fostering is an effective way to manage the large number of animals that come through our doors that require care. Many need a little extra TLC before finding their new home. Foster Parents provide a temporary home for these animals as they recover from surgery or illness, to help with socialisation and enrichment, or simply to put on a little more weight before being desexed.
At the moment we are urgently looking for foster parents for cats, litters of kittens, and mums with babies.
Benefit of being a foster parent:
- As a fosterer you provide love, care and a safe, warm environment.
- Every animal that you foster is given a second chance at life – and the more animals you foster, the more lives you help save.
- Fostering can be a great way to try having an animal in your life before making a lifelong commitment.
- First-time Foster Parents receive training and our friendly Foster Team are just a phone call away.
- Our on-site vets provide any medical care required.
- We supply peer support, all food, bedding, litter trays, training and everything else to help the animal have a comfortable stay in your home.
- The average length of stay is 3-6 weeks for cats and kittens and 6 weeks for dogs.
- All you need is a secure room, a fully fenced property for dogs and puppies, your landlord's consent if you don't own your own property, a vehicle to collect and deliver the animal, and lots of love and time.
If you can help by taking in a furry house guest for a while, please apply now! Fill out the application form below and submit the completed form with four photos of the room and property you intend to use, and a written consent from your landlord (if you are renting).
Please contact our friendly Foster Team to find out more – just call 03 218 9684 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For: Foster parent - cats and kittens at Invercargill Centre
Thank you for your interest in fostering an animal from SPCA. Foster families are vital to the work of SPCA, and we simply couldn't help the huge number of animals we do without foster families, who provide love and care for animals in their own homes every year.
Please note: You will need to be 18 years or over to foster an animal. You may be need to provide an up-to-date Ministry of Justice check prior to starting.