Secondhand Summer: Reuse, Rewear, Relove
You can help reduce the amount of waste going into landfills, and give a vulnerable animal a new chance at a happy life.
One small step for you this Summer, one giant leap for reducing waste.
This season is the time to join in our Secondhand Summer efforts, to help educate and bring about positive change for people, animals in need, and our environment.
Think about how you can help contribute and create a better world for your children and grandchildren – we have an opportunity to contribute change to the world to sustain and provide a safer future for the next generation to come.
Consider committing to something as simple as only purchasing secondhand, or making a conscious effort to not throw away any surplus goods, you can make a big chance. Instead look at ways to reuse items, or donating items for someone else to discover.
By shopping, donating or volunteering in our SPCA Op Shops, you can help reduce your environment impact this Summer.
Sustainable Tips: Reuse, Rewear, Relove.
You can save resources being used to make new products, and give beautiful things a second chance all while discovering a style that is uniquely your own.
Some of our ideas below to inspire your creativity:
- Always take re-usable bags with you in the car, or when you are heading out.
- Upcycling ideas! Turn homeware items into something new, for example:
- Indoor plant pots or outdoor herb garden pots from any item
- Teacups or mugs into scented candles
- Jars to store and sort herbs and spices in your kitchen
- Painting vases or jars and turning them into dried floral arrangements/displays
- Upcycle old furniture with fresh paint and new handles
- When purchasing books or puzzles, once you have finished donate them back to the Op Shop
- Bring your kids into an Op Shop to get their creativity flaring, challenge them to some upcycling ideas
Follow our Facebook and Instagram page, for some upcycled inspiration and sustainable tips this Summer.
Handmade by our volunteers
Did you know that some of our local SPCA Op Shops have some lovely handmade items available in selected stores across the country?
Some of these include gift baskets, homemade fudge, homemade coconut ice, indoor plants, crochet cacti in pots, tote bags out of recycled duvet covers, and upcycled crafts including aprons, face coverings, soft toys, cat toys, knitted dog coats and wall art!
Sustainable, secondhand, and saving lives with SPCA
Thank you for all your support, our SPCA Op Shops are vital in raising funds towards abandoned, abused and neglected animals in need. Stay safe, and have a wonderful Summer New Zealand!
Giveaway has now closed.
To celebrate our Secondhand Summer efforts this season, share your awesome op shopping outfit finds with us for the chance to WIN 1 of 6 $25 vouchers to spend at any of our SPCA Op Shops (conditions apply*).
To ENTER the draw, please follow the steps below:
- Put together an outfit purchased from our SPCA Op Shops, and take a photo of it (or wearing it);
- Upload the photo on your Instagram page (or Facebook profile) before or by Sunday 20th February (please ensure your settings are public);
- Make sure to tag us using @spcaopshops and use the hashtag #spcasecondhandsummer in your post.
*Terms and Conditions:
Open to New Zealand only. You must post your entry before 11:59pm Sunday 20th February 2022. Please keep your receipt for proof of purchase and you may be asked to provide Photo ID for proof of age, if you are drawn as one of our winners. You must use the hashtag or tag us to be eligible to win, or we won’t be able to locate your competition entry. Check and ensure your profile or page is public (not private) to be eligible to win, or we won’t be able to view your competition entry. The six winners will be drawn and contacted by Thursday 24th February 2022. If you win the voucher and don’t have an SPCA Op Shop near you, you can nominate to gift it to a friend. All immediate SPCA employees are ineligible to enter.Prizes are not transferable for cash. This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram.