Find a service
SPCA and Auckland Council Snip 'n' ChipAuckland
Snip ‘n’ Chip is back, supported by Auckland Council!
Our popular Auckland Snip ‘n’ Chip campaign is back for 2021! This year, SPCA is excited to announce that we are collaborating with Auckland Council to offer free desexing and microchipping to cat owners in eco-sensitive communities that live near our threatened native species.
From Friday 19 February, cat owners who live under the following postcodes can Snip ‘n’ Chip their cat for FREE:
This is a limited time offer available until bookings run out.
Desexing is one of the key ways to improve animal welfare in New Zealand and an important part of responsible animal ownership. By desexing and microchipping your cat, you can help them lead a happier and healthier life, break the cycle of unwanted litters in our communities, and protect our native wildlife and threatened species.
Help us give your companion a better life by booking online today. Free desexing appointments are limited, so cat owners should complete our online form today and avoid disappointment.
SPCA’s Auckland Centre has worked hard in recent years to address the problem of too many cats being born unwanted and not living a good quality of life. This year we’ve already booked in over 1000 cats to be desexed and microchipped across Auckland.
We’re so grateful to Auckland Council for being involved in this campaign. They have played a huge part to improve animal welfare in our eco-sensitive communities across Auckland.
How do I book my cat in for this campaign?
- You can book your cat in by completing the online form listed above. Instructions on how to make an appointment will be emailed to you once you have completed the form.
I don’t live in the suburbs listed; can I still get this offer?
- This offer is only available for the suburbs listed above. However, in conjunction with this campaign, we are also running another Auckland-wide campaign where people with a Community Services or Gold Card can also Snip ‘n’ Chip their cats for free. Non-cardholders across Auckland can also purchase a voucher priced at $45, which is a fraction of the full price cost. You can find out more here.
What age does my kitten need to be before I can get them desexed?
- This is dependent on the veterinary clinic you book your animal with. Your veterinary clinic will be able to advise you when your kitten is able to be desexed.
My animal is desexed already, can I just get the microchip?
- Yes, you can. Microchipping is a great tool which helps hundreds of lost animals reunite with their owners each year.
My animal is microchipped already, can I just get them desexed?
- Yes, you can. Desexing not only helps your animal live a happy and healthier life, but it helps break the cycle of unwanted litters of animals in our communities.
I just want my cat desexed, do I have to get my animal microchipped as part of this campaign?
- Yes, SPCA supports responsible pet ownership and believe that microchipping your pet is part of this responsibility.
Is this available to other animals like dogs?
- This offer is only available for cats. With limited resources, SPCA must target species where the need is highest. With 80% of SPCA’s incoming animals being cats and kittens, we are targeting cat owners in these eco-sensitive areas to help them get this vital service.
Is this offer available in other parts of the country?
- Yes, we do have other discounted desexing campaigns running in other parts of the country, please have a look on our website for further information on these campaigns. If you don’t see a campaign near you at this time, please check back at a later date.
We have offered Snip ‘n’ Chip to almost 30 different regions in New Zealand in 2020 alone, but for desexing to be most effective, we need to ensure we are targeting the areas that have the highest need.
If you know someone with a pet that isn’t desexed or microchipped in another region of New Zealand, please encourage them to reach out to their local SPCA or vet who can advise on desexing options in their area.
Does SPCA offer any other free or discounted veterinary services to the public?
- Unfortunately, the SPCA does not offer any other free or discounted veterinary services to the public, simply because we are unable to stretch our resources to cover this as well as help the stray and unwanted animals that come into our Centres .
Any further treatments or surgeries that your animal may require, over and above the Snip ‘n’ Chip offer we have available, will be at your own cost and agreed upon by yourself and the participating vet.
For more information on desexing please see our advice article.